Municipality of Franklin

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Franklin 1670, route 202, C. P. 84
Franklin Centre QC  J0S 1E0
Phone : 450-827-2538
Fax : 450-827-2640
Email : franklin@qc.aira.com
Mairesse de Franklin
    Mrs. Suzanne Yelle Blair,
Mayor

 

Director General and Secretary-Treasurer:  François Gagnon
Municipal Councillors: Marc-André Laberge, Douglas Brooks, Sylvain Barré, Vincent Meloche, Yves Métras, Albert Schink

 
Designation of Inhabitants
Population*
Surface*
Geographic Code
Franklinois, oise
1,651 inhabitants
113.07 km2
69010
       
Photo Gallery

Hôtel de ville Centre récréatif église Unie Presbytère catholique
Town Hall Recreative Center United Church Catholic Manse
 

Introduction and Background

 


The municipality of Franklin is officially recognised in 1857. Although, it is not until 1973 that it gets its actual status following the fusion of Franklin canton and Saint-Antoine-Abbé-Partie-Nord-Est.

Named after Sir John Franklin (1786-1847), English explorer who went to the Mackenzie River's mouth in the North-West Territories, the municipality includes the villages of Saint-Antoine-Abbé and Franklin Centre and the localities of Bridgetown and Dorea. It follows the US-Canada borders and its customs station can be reached using Route 209.

Franklin's landscape is renowned for the abundance and beauty of its orchards and maple sugar groves not to mention the low walls made of rocks skirting Route 202. Designated as a rural centre, Franklin is host to the Ecological Reserve of Pin-Rigide (French only) the biggest known settlement of Pin-Rigide in Quebec and the Forest of Franklin, home to the stag of Virginia.

The ground, which doesn't go more than 100 meters high in the north, is drained by the Brandy brook and rises gradually up to 320 meters in the south where the East Outardes river and Michel brook irrigates it.

The recreation centre, the two primary schools, the public housing, the Lac des Pins camping site and its beach, the many orchards, the micro-brewery, a rich inheritance and many churches more than a hundred years old contribute to the charm of this picturesque canton.

*Source, Population and Surface: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census of Population.