Introduction and Background
The Municipality of Dundee was constituted under the laws of Lower Canada on July 1st, 1855. The area was colonized in the early 1800s by United Empire Loyalists who came from the United States, and by Irish and Scottish settlers. It is located in the extreme southwest corner of Quebec, bounded by the Canada-US border and the Akwesasne Amerindian Reserve, south of Lake Saint-François.
The territory is characterized by its many marshes and wetlands, which play an important ecological role in the flora and fauna surrounding Lake Saint-François. In 1972, the Canadian Wildlife Service designated a large area of these wetlands for preservation, for its fragile ecosystem. In 1978, the Lac Saint-François National Wildlife Reserve was founded and, in 1987, was recognized under the International Ramsar Convention on its "List of Wetlands of National Importance".
The Municipality includes the small village of Sainte-Agnès-de-Dundee and the hamlet of Dundee. Seasonal dwellings are clustered along the shoreline of Lake Saint-François at Pointe-Leblanc, Caza Place, Gordon Point, Fraser Point and Hopkins Point. The Dundee Customs Office is accessible via Route 132.
Dundee's name is derived from the industrial and harbour town of Dundee in eastern Scotland, on the north bank of the River Tay, and means Hill of the Divinity (Dun De) or Fort Tay (Dun Taw). Mr. John Davidson, the first postmaster of Dundee, and native of Dundee, Scotland, is generally regarded as the founder of the Municipality and was instrumental in the naming of theTownship (Commission de la toponymie du Québec).
* Source, Population and Surface: Statistics Canada, 2006 Census of Population.